as modifier The cation NH₄⁺, present in solutions of ammonia and in salts derived from ammonia.
- ‘The perchloric acid then neutralises the alkali ammonia forming crystals of ammonium perchlorate salt.’
- ‘These include things such as urea, ammonia, nitric acid, and ammonium phosphate.’
- ‘And it contained the inorganic salts manganese sulphate, potassium chloride and ammonium sulphate.’
- ‘Amides are hydrolysed to ammonium salts with catalysis by acids or alkalis.’
- ‘In nickel plating, an electrolytic solution containing nickel ammonium sulfate may be used.’
Early 19th century: from ammonia + -ium.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.