Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A colorless gas with a characteristic pungent smell. It dissolves in water to give a strongly alkaline solution.
- ‘Two other very important inorganic compounds that are synthesized commercially are ammonia and nitric acid.’
- ‘Methanamide is manufactured by reacting carbon monoxide and ammonia together under pressure.’
- ‘It does this by activating its own cytoplasmic urease, which converts urea into carbon dioxide and ammonia.’
- ‘These include things such as urea, ammonia, nitric acid, and ammonium phosphate.’
- ‘Nitric acid is produced industrially by the oxidation of ammonia over a platinum catalyst at a high temperature.’
- ‘The ligand may be either positively or negatively charged, or may be a molecule of water or ammonia.’
- ‘The ester functional group can also be split by ammonia to give amides and alcohols.’
- ‘Some nitrogen gases, especially ammonia, are alkaline when dissolved in rain.’
- ‘In the Solvay process, carbon dioxide and ammonia are passed into a concentrated solution of sodium chloride.’
- ‘He isolated around twenty different airs, including hydrogen chloride, nitric oxide, and ammonia.’
- ‘Tertiary amines are manufactured by heating an alcoholic solution of ammonia with excess alkyl halide.’
- ‘Adenine can be formed from ammonia and hydrogen cyanide, as can guanine.’
- ‘Air, water, hydrocarbons, ammonia and carbondioxide are known as the Friendly Five.’
- ‘The plant will still emit almost three tonnes of nitrous oxide, ammonia and other toxins into the Lower Fraser Valley per day.’
- ‘Urinary saturation with struvite occurs only when supranormal excretion of ammonia and alkaline urine occur together.’
- ‘When ammonia is reacted with nitric acid, ammonium nitrate is produced.’
- ‘Only later could they be penalized for exceeding the emissions limits for ammonia and hydrogen sulfide.’
- ‘This enzyme breaks down any urea in the stomach to ammonia and carbon dioxide’
- ‘From natural gas, the factory produced ammonia, then nitric acid, urea and ammonium nitrate.’
- ‘They will be studying water, carbon monoxide, ammonia and methanol four of the most abundant gases from comets.’
- 1.1A solution of ammonia used as a cleaning fluid.
- ‘One of the attackers was armed with a washing-up liquid bottle which is believed to have contained ammonia.’
- ‘Rub with a cloth dampened in a solution of household ammonia and water.’
- ‘One member was said to be carrying a washing-up liquid bottle, thought to contain ammonia, while another had a brown cricket kit type bag.’
- ‘Make a mixture of detergent and ammonia for cleaning the walls.’
- ‘Never mix chlorine solutions with other cleaning agents or ammonia, because toxic gases are formed.’
- ‘Fill the tank with a solution of one part household ammonia to 100 parts water.’
- ‘The fluid smelt of ammonia and the victim was taken to hospital with stinging eyes after his attacker fled.’
- ‘Some folks also recommend ammonia in the water bottle, but make sure you don't get confused and take a sip.’
- ‘And I'll remember to stock up on ammonia to clean the eggs off my door the next day when I do’
- ‘One way of removing built up floor wax manually, is to mix detergent and ammonia with water and apply to the floor with a mop or sponge.’
- ‘Add a few drops of ammonia to the rinse water for glass lamps, chimneys, and globes.’
- ‘Use a light solution of ammonia and water on a toothbrush or soft cloth, then rinse thoroughly with water.’
Late 18th century: modern Latin, from sal ammoniacus (see sal ammoniac).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.