Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
One of the two major leagues in American professional baseball.
- ‘In the American League this season, you'll hear names such as Gary Sheffield, Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz.’
- ‘Not long ago, I purchased an autographed baseball containing signatures of players on an American League All-Star team.’
- ‘Did I see somewhere where they might host an American League baseball game?’
- ‘Quick and agile, Rodriguez also became a force with the bat, setting an American League record for catchers by hitting 35 home runs in 1999.’
- ‘Has there been a more productive hitter in the American League the past 15 years than Thomas?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.