One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the US) a negotiable certificate of title to a number of shares in a non-US company which are deposited in an overseas bank.
- ‘You can browse among the hundreds of foreign companies that list their shares on U.S. exchanges using American depositary receipts.’
- ‘While I invest most of my savings in mutual funds, I also own some American depositary receipts of Europe's biggest drugmaker, which I bought more than ten years ago.’
- ‘Separately, lawsuits have been filed by investors in France and the U.S., where their American depositary receipts trade.’
- ‘In January, the company filed with the US Securities and Exchange Commission to sell American depositary receipts.’
- ‘The company's American depositary receipts Thursday rose 4.8 percent as US stocks rallied.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.