One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for century plant
- ‘As one drives through the dry but beautiful Karoo near Graaf-Reinet in South Africa you will see stands of a dark blue-grey leafed plant, which farmers often call the American aloe, and which are all members of the Agave family.’
- ‘The next forenoon, when the sable horseman arrived, he found a roll of crimson baize laid down from the pales before the tavern to the doorway, which was lined by American aloes in tubs.’
- ‘It is considered the warmest place on the south-west coast, as oranges, lemons, and American aloes bloom in the open air, in the pleasure grounds of Woodville and the Moult.’
- ‘Here, flower lovers can pick from an almost limitless range - roses, lilies, chrysanthemum, forget-me-nots, American aloes, tuberoses and sunflowers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.