One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The act of making something better; improvement.‘progress brings with it the amelioration of the human condition’
advance, development, upgrade, change for the better, refinement, enhancement, furtherance, advancement, forwardingimprovement, change for the better, betterment, enhancement, help, benefit, boost, raising, amendment, refinement, reformView synonyms
- ‘Its thrust is towards amelioration of the poor and a lot of distance has been covered.’
- ‘The increasingly powerful industrial working class sought the amelioration of its social and economic conditions.’
- ‘This amelioration is for the most part subjective rather than objective - the individual feels better about him- or herself.’
- ‘For real amelioration in education is completely contingent upon complementary improvement in the wider societal context.’
- ‘It would also provide a sound basis for targeting scarce resources and developing strategies for remediation and amelioration.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.