Infection with amoebas, especially as causing dysentery.
- ‘Once he had recovered from a serious bout of amoebiasis he re-established himself as a singlehanded doctor.’
- ‘The right way to treat amoebiasis is through proper diagnosis and treatment prescribed by the qualified physician/gastroentrologist.’
- ‘If children have been living or holidaying in poorer countries causes such as amoebiasis or worm infections should be considered.’
- ‘Drugs in current use for amoebiasis have problems of toxicity and drug resistance.’
- ‘Around one in ten people who are infected with amoebiasis become ill from the disease.’
Early 20th century: from amoeba + -asis.