One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Infection with amoebas, especially as causing dysentery.
- ‘Once he had recovered from a serious bout of amoebiasis he re-established himself as a singlehanded doctor.’
- ‘The right way to treat amoebiasis is through proper diagnosis and treatment prescribed by the qualified physician/gastroentrologist.’
- ‘Around one in ten people who are infected with amoebiasis become ill from the disease.’
- ‘If children have been living or holidaying in poorer countries causes such as amoebiasis or worm infections should be considered.’
- ‘Drugs in current use for amoebiasis have problems of toxicity and drug resistance.’
Early 20th century: from amoeba + -asis.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.