One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The practice by which a rival company attempts to associate its products with an event that already has official sponsors.
- ‘He emphasised that it was ambush marketing by intrusion, particularly, which the World Cup organisers are seeking to defeat.’
- ‘A decisive factor is whether ambush marketing activities signify a serious breach of rights.’
- ‘There were political overtones, security risks and controversies over ambush marketing, sponsorships, contracts and what not.’
- ‘For sponsors like these, the real risk is that the event will be taken over by ambush marketing.’
- ‘Yesterday, the government announced plans to outlaw "ambush marketing" at major events.’
- ‘Attempted ambush marketing has already made headlines in Australia.’
- ‘In a cheeky bit of ambush marketing, a billboard for Dooney's show was erected opposite the Melbourne Art Fair at the Melbourne Exhibition Building.’
- ‘How can major events sponsors be protected against ambush marketing?’
- ‘The rationale for the proposed offence is to protect major events from disruption, and their sponsors from "ambush marketing".’
- ‘That hard-line stance against ambush marketing shouldn't deter companies from pushing the envelope.’
- ‘"I called it as it was, ambush marketing and piggy-backing on others," he retorts.’
- ‘He was scanning visitors as they arrived, no doubt on the alert for any outbreak of unofficial ambush marketing.’
- ‘"It is impossible for any sporting organisation to effect team or competition sponsorship if competing ambush marketing is allowed as a principle," he said.’
- ‘It is ambush marketing of the worst kind.’
- ‘I wonder if the ICC's rules of ambush marketing will apply for the game.’
- ‘"Care has also been taken to avoid ambush marketing and product clutter," said sources.’
- ‘If ambush marketing is bad for the game, so is marketing of this nature.’
- ‘Ambush marketing is becoming a huge problem for every major international sporting event.’
- ‘Excess and ambush marketing may be taking their toll.’
- ‘Rights infringements range from the unauthorised sale of match tickets or counterfeit licensed products to unfair competition and ambush marketing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.