Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A specially equipped van for transporting disabled or convalescent passengers in nonemergency circumstances.‘a week later, Eli would be taken by ambulette to the doctor’
- ‘The ambulette carried no patient at the time, police said.’
- ‘If he's being transferred by ambulette, will it arrive promptly?’
- ‘The driver will escort you from your apartment door into the ambulette and then into the medical facility or the day care.’
- ‘The New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission is the agency responsible for licensing and regulating New York City's medallion (yellow) taxicabs, for-hire vehicles (community-based liveries and black cars), commuter vans, paratransit vehicles (ambulettes) and certain luxury limousines.’
- ‘In cooperation with medical offices that order these services, the ambulettes typically cost the taxpayers more than $50 a round trip, adding up to $200 million a year.’
- ‘The driver of the ambulette, a 28-year-old woman, and of the minivan, a 52-year-old man, were treated for minor injuries at Brooklyn Hospital Center, the police said.’
- ‘We brought the kids downstairs, one staff to one kid, where an ambulette had pulled up, outside the door of the building.’
- ‘But it is becoming increasingly apparent that the company failed to meet guidelines set up by the state to ensure that the drivers of ambulettes are qualified to operate them, state officials say.’
- ‘“There are a couple of other kids I've met through driving the ambulette who have handicaps."’
- ‘Sounds simple, but because the medical center isn't our closest hospital, we can't get an ambulette to take her there.’
1940s: from ambulance + -ette.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.