One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The state of having mixed feelings or contradictory ideas about something or someone.‘the law's ambivalence about the importance of a victim's identity’‘government ambivalence toward the arts’
equivocation, uncertainty, unsureness, doubt, indecision, inconclusiveness, irresolution, irresoluteness, hesitation, hesitancy, fluctuation, vacillation, shilly-shallying, tentativenessView synonyms
- ‘Montgomerie is equally tentative, possibly because he senses Kidd's ambivalence.’
- ‘My ambivalence over speaking at the funeral was compounded when dad asked if I would do a scripture reading.’
- ‘There is deep British ambivalence about openly acknowledging this.’
- ‘At every stage, ambivalence and indecision has meant that decisions were forced upon them by events on the ground.’
- ‘In the past, I might have struggled to join in, concealing my ambivalence with uncertain assertions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.