One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1attributive Relating to the immediate surroundings of something.‘the liquid is stored at below ambient temperature’
- ‘The 24 seedlings of each treatment were placed in one of two custom-designed root boxes capable of controlling root temperatures, while the shoots were exposed to the ambient greenhouse environment.’
- ‘Depending on soil type, questions of water usage and ambient temperature times determine the longevity and performance of soil/water combinations.’
- ‘Limited rainfall, high ambient temperatures, and a highly variable physical environment characterize Turkana district.’
- ‘All of these headphones use tiny microphones mounted on or inside the headset to pick up the ambient noise just before you hear it.’
- ‘You haven't even been in the train long enough to feel the ambient temperature.’
- ‘Wide metal door sills and soft-blue ambient lighting welcome you into the car.’
- ‘The problem that Nasa has is that the electrical charging and heating effects caused by ambient particle radiation can disturb the delicate measurements needed to detect these effects.’
- ‘The hatchlings normally emerge after a period of about 45-55 days depending upon the ambient sand temperature and climatic conditions.’
- ‘On balance, having regard to the ambient background noise, I consider that the additional vehicle movements would not generate such noise and disturbance as to unacceptably harm residents' amenities.’
- ‘They read infrared radiation and are not affected by ambient light.’
- ‘Due to the sharp difference between cooled and ambient air temperatures, people who move between them risk colds and heat stroke.’
- ‘At the end of incubation, samples were allowed to cool down to room temperature under ambient conditions and always maintained in an aqueous environment.’
- ‘Seasonal variation in the moon's path through the night sky changes the variance in ambient moonlight between proximate new moons and full moons.’
- ‘Working in his back yard, aided by a schoolboy neighbor, he timed flashes and measured temperature and ambient light with equipment from the departmental storeroom.’
- ‘Will operation in environments with significantly higher ambient temperatures cause a pump malfunction?’
- ‘One of the primary differences in these two environments is the average ambient temperature, both in the day and night.’
- ‘All tests were run with an ambient temperature of 20 degrees Celsius.’
- ‘If you have underfloor heating throughout, you will enjoy a better all-round ambient temperature in every room, not just on the ground floor.’
- ‘These should reduce your CPU temperature by at least 5 degrees centigrade in a 20 degrees centigrade ambient environment.’
- ‘Current LCD displays on a wide range of applications can be difficult to read if the ambient light is too strong or the reader is not positioned in front of the screen.’
- 1.1 Relating to ambient music.
- ‘To my ear, the remixes are fine examples of ambient dub.’
- ‘Forsaking the oeuvres of boy bands, their coverage has so far been saturated with unobtrusively tuneful ambient dance music.’
- ‘For those who aren't familiar with these projects, this collaborative release serves as an excellent introduction to a Danish collective that are doing some really impressive things with ambient guitar work at the moment.’
- ‘Harp arpeggios, ambient sounds, a typewriter and speech establish the mood.’
Late 16th century: from French ambiant or Latin ambient- ‘going round’, from ambire.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.