One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bulbous plant with white, pink, or red flowers and straplike leaves, of the type genus of the amaryllis family, "Amaryllidaceae"See also belladonna lily
- ‘For my home, I would just go for something simple, like a nice vase of tulips or amaryllis.’
- ‘For amaryllis, allow the bulbs to dry out from mid-August through mid-November, then water and feed to promote bloom.’
- ‘Plant amaryllis bulbs in containers early this month for Thanksgiving bloom or in late October for Christmas bloom.’
- ‘I also dug the amaryllis, which I plant out each summer after their winter show.’
- ‘Many amaryllis bulbs sold in autumn are (botanically speaking) hippeastrum bulbs.’
- ‘Many southern gardens don't have tulips, forsythia or daffodils, but instead have guava, pineapple and amaryllis.’
- ‘Some bulbs, such as amaryllis and paperwhites, can readily be brought into flower in time for the winter holidays if you start about five or six weeks in advance.’
- ‘The plant is another South African native and is related to amaryllis.’
- ‘Fertilize amaryllis regularly during the growth cycle starting one month after planting (when active growth is underway).’
- ‘Saillen said he is struck by the beauty of strong, vibrant flowers, like amaryllis, banana flowers and birds of paradise.’
- ‘The large-flowered amaryllis we're used to seeing at this time of year carry huge blossoms - 8 and even 10 inches across.’
- ‘The amaryllis is ideal for people who have little time or inclination to spend on high-maintenance flowers and plants.’
- ‘Butterfly amaryllis and other species do not require a dormancy period.’
- ‘The two easiest bulbs to force are paper-white narcissus and amaryllis.’
- ‘Cheryl Howie of Iowa keeps her amaryllis standing straight with a unique plant stake she made out of a Frisbee and a few wooden dowels.’
- ‘Take time for some indoor gardening activities with your children, such as preparing your favorite amaryllis bulbs - kids will marvel at how quickly the plants develop.’
- ‘Combine the pleasures of both with holiday red amaryllis and pristine white tulips and fragrant hyacinths.’
- ‘Potted amaryllis that flowered at Christmas may bloom again the following holiday season if you take a few steps to program the flowering.’
- ‘Potted amaryllis bulbs top-dressed with moss make welcome gifts.’
- ‘Dasan took his time to makes memorials for all his people, 500 crosses with an amaryllis flower tied to it.’
Modern Latin, from Latin Amaryllis (from Greek Amarullis), a name for a country girl in pastoral poetry.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.