Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A heuchera, especially the green-flowered "H. americana" and the white-flowered "H. parvifolia"→ heuchera
- ‘The amount of alum root in such compounds is 1 ounce.’
- ‘Another plant, also called alum root, was pounded up and used wet to apply to sores and swellings.’
- ‘Heuchera americana, or alum root, is adaptable to sun or shade, given sufficient moisture.’
- ‘It was called Alum Root Flower because its roots shared the astringent qualities of species of true alum root.’
- ‘For dry shade, also try Douglas iris, any of the alum roots, hummingbird sage, sword fern, and foothill sedge.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.