One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(chiefly of minerals and rocks) containing alumina or aluminum.‘aluminous pelites’
- ‘Mafic and ultramafic rocks predominate, although a few examples of metasedimentary rocks are known, including aluminous lithologies.’
- ‘Associated units are sillimanite-bearing aluminous metasediments, quartzites, and arnphibolites.’
- ‘Plagioclase is commonly variably replaced by aluminous prehnite, which indicates temperatures below 400°C.’
- ‘It likely exists as a hydrothermal alteration product of aluminous materials.’
- ‘Import tonnage of aluminous cement is small, however levels did increase by more than 33% to 41,137 metric tons.’
Late Middle English: from Latin aluminosus, from alumen, alumin- (see alum).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.