Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Showing a disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others; unselfish.‘it was an entirely altruistic act’‘I question how altruistic his motives were’
unselfish, selfless, self-sacrificing, self-denyingconsiderate, compassionate, kind, decent, noble, public-spiritedgenerous, magnanimous, ungrudging, unstinting, charitable, benevolent, beneficent, liberal, open-handed, free-handed, philanthropic, humanitarianbounteousView synonyms
- ‘Humans are far more co-operative and altruistic than any other species.’
- ‘His benevolent and altruistic nature made him very well known to everyone in the area.’
- ‘This leadership was perceived as altruistic by the public, and therefore ethical.’
- ‘Don't be fooled into thinking I do this for altruistic reasons though.’
- ‘Naturally, a person could be motivated by altruistic considerations to help others in his group.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.