Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A clef placing middle C on the middle line of the staff, now used chiefly for viola music.
- ‘The alto clef encountered when reading the viola part poses a challenge.’
- ‘The wedding cake, with chocolate covered strawberries between the layers, was decorated with treble clefs for Rachel's violin and alto clefs for Nick's viola.’
- ‘It is usually written in bass clef, although tenor trombone players with orchestral experience are often comfortable with tenor and alto clefs as well.’
- ‘Depending on the type of trombone and what type of ensemble you're in, the music for trombone could be written in either the tenor, bass, or alto clefs.’
- ‘This editor permits single or double stave notation utilizing the treble, bass, tenor and alto clefs.’
alto clef/ˈôltō ˌklef/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.