One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A style of rock music characterized as unconventional or outside the mainstream.‘the disaffection of grunge and alternative rock resonated powerfully with a generation weathering an economic recession’
- ‘Alternative rock was literally dying on the vine, when along came this haunting beautiful eulogy that captured America's world-weary spirit and the Seattle sound.’
- ‘Rap has heavily influenced the current state of alternative rock and of music at large.’
- ‘They played basic alternative rock and were able to kick it hard and mellow things down easily.’
- ‘Few could have predicted that the band would become one of alternative rock's most bankable hitmakers.’
- ‘For better or worse, they were largely responsible for alternative rock as we know it.’
- ‘This absurd selection of tracks appears to highlight some elements of this journey, with elements of punk, alternative rock or film music audaciously thrown in together.’
- ‘The band are aiming at spiritual uplift, at finding common ground between pop music, alternative rock and religious devotional.’
- ‘Straddling the worlds of alternative rock and serious art, Waits assiduously avoids compromise.’
- ‘Their eponymous debut, as far back as 1996, was a classic slice of US-based alternative rock.’
- ‘Though their fame faded when "alternative rock" became synonymous with "grunge," nerds still love 'em silly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.