One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An electric current that reverses its direction many times a second at regular intervals, typically used in power supplies.Compare with direct current
- ‘The company built a new mill and contracted with the Telluride Power and Transmission Company at Ames to supply electricity as an alternating current to both the mine and mill.’
- ‘Some lesions can be shaved down to the level of the surrounding skin, either using a surgical blade or electro-surgery, which uses an alternating current to destroy skin tissue.’
- ‘LED lights require a transformer to turn alternating current to direct current.’
- ‘In any case Edison's technique was limited by his insistence on using direct current, rather than the standard alternating current that soon took its place when the advantages were recognized.’
- ‘In fact, while the national grid relies on alternating current for transmitting electrons, the internal Texas grid transmits via direct current.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.