One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A summons to the altar at a Christian worship service to those wishing to show their commitment.‘I never responded to an altar call, or if my pastor gave an altar call, I didn't think it applied to me’
- ‘They've already stopped the practice of altar calls in concert, and they're toning down overt references to the Lord.’
- ‘And I felt very moved at that meeting, I think I was about 14 at the time, and went forward at that meeting at the kind of altar call at the end to make a sort of public declaration to Christ.’
- ‘Their deep voices reverberate straight to the soul - they could propel many a sinner down the altar call aisle.’
- ‘Even more surprising, the films on exhibit were not about conversions or altar calls, and there was nary a rapture film to be seen.’
- ‘When someone comes forward for the altar call, they are always accompanied by friends or ‘welcome group members’ who kneel with them on the floor and pray with them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.