One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A South American plant with showy flowers similar to those of the lily, cultivated as an ornamental.
Genus Alstroemeria, family Liliaceae: several species
- ‘Some of the best and most widely adapted annual cut flowers with the longest vase life include alstroemeria, aster, cosmos, snapdragon, sunflower, yarrow, and zinnia.’
- ‘Although I'll bet Dominic didn't choose the alstroemeria on its meaning, it's definitely similar to his life and personality.’
- ‘Another flower, alstroemeria, responds to having its stubble burned.’
- ‘In the perennial gardens, the use of colorful and fragrant plants, including gladiolus, iris, tuberose and alstroemeria, is abundant.’
- ‘White and speckled alstroemeria flowers and tapered reed stems combine with cat's eye marbles in a glass vase.’
Late 18th century: modern Latin, named after Klas von Alstroemer (1736–96), Swedish naturalist.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.