Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- abbreviation for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- ‘He was in the advanced stages of ALS.’
- ‘"Her painting will help draw attention to the amazing abilities of artists with ALS and other neuromuscular disorders."’
- ‘He choreographed (most often for Maryland Youth Ballet and his own Eric Hampton Dance) before being diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease).’
- ‘Some cases where gene therapy has been successful are in the breakthrough with the disease Amytrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).’
- ‘The scene becomes even more distressing when we recall how ALS eventually works its way up the body, making simple things like hand gestures and speaking impossible.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.