Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Arrange (words or phrases) in alphabetical order.‘the listings are arranged by state and alphabetized by city’
- ‘I've cleaned out all the urns in the tea cellar, blown the dust out of the Hydrogen Mainframe, and now I'm alphabetising our mugs.’
- ‘I did this - a complete cross referenced and alphabetised list of every post I have made in the last month.’
- ‘The cards do not spontaneously alphabetise themselves in a neat pile.’
- ‘Our nameplates arrived for the communal office door today, alphabetised by the handyman who put them up, which thus avoided the catfight my new officemates and I had promised each other over who would get the top position.’
- ‘Unfortunately trying to alphabetize the band ‘The The’ ended in a vicious, never ending cycle from which I have yet to escape.’
- ‘Yes, I alphabetized my socks and then had to look around for something else to do.’
- ‘It wasn't alphabetized or arranged in any other logical way, so it took a little while to find.’
- ‘At first, she did odd things like rearranging her shoes and alphabetizing the books on the bookshelf in her office.’
- ‘Do you alphabetize CDs, books, and DVDs, or does it not matter?’
- ‘To make an effective filing system, experts recommend alphabetizing your relevant documents by subject or category.’
- ‘Just as you finally alphabetise your sprawling DVD collection, along comes another battle over the Next Big Format.’
- ‘After a couple of hours of mindless surfing, I've found a few more most excellent weblogs to add to my soon to be alphabetised side bar!’
- ‘It took me 45 minutes to alphabetise my references this morning.’
- ‘Your focus group data file should be alphabetized according to theme.’
- ‘In other news, MovableType considers capital letters to come before lower case letters when alphabetising things.’
- ‘Why didn't I at least alphabetize my library, while I still had the chance?’
- ‘I added a whole slew of them to the sidebar today, and I think I am going to start categorizing or alphabetizing them or putting them on a different page all together.’
- ‘I have so many CD's, LP's etc. that a couple of years ago when I was out of work I did index and alphabetise them.’
- ‘Her books and other miscellaneous things were put at easy access, her books were alphabetized by title, and then by category, and her other things were put into the many drawers of the large, oak desk below the window.’
- ‘Their principal function was to alphabetize Shakespeare's text, laying bare otherwise inaccessible qualities and quantities.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.