One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Ionizing radiation consisting of alpha particles, emitted by some substances undergoing radioactive decay.
- ‘Scientists of the National Institute for Health Protection in Macedonia detected eight times higher than normal levels of alpha radiation in the air during the air war.’
- ‘After the boron is selectively localized to the tumor, it is irradiated with neutrons that cause the release of alpha radiation from the boron atoms.’
- ‘It is not really dangerous in such small quantities; but plutonium is nevertheless hazardous if ingested and absorbed into bone marrow, where its alpha radiation can destroy cells or initiate cancers.’
- ‘Long before artificial probes were available, subatomic researchers such as Rutherford relied on concentrated alpha radiation.’
- ‘Capturing neutrons causes the boron nuclei to break apart, resulting in the emission of alpha radiation and lithium nuclei.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.