One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The beginning and the end (used by Christians as a title for Jesus).
- ‘When Jesus talks about being alpha and omega, it offers the picture of someone at both ends of something, without middle ground.’
- ‘Are we willing to be the alpha and the omega rather than stand in the middle all the time?’
- ‘A sign outside says in huge letters: Jesus said ‘I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end’.’
- ‘He is the alpha and the omega, the principle and the end, the foundation stone and the keystone, the plenitude and the plenifier.’
- ‘A range of portable items have been found bearing Christian motifs such as the chi-rho, alpha and omega, or the representation of a fish.’
- 1.1 The essence or most important features.‘collective bargaining is seen as the alpha and omega of trade unionism’
completely, entirely, totally, fully, whollyView synonyms
- ‘Why should one of the elect be bothered about table manners, if cognitive ability, without virtue or civility, is the alpha and omega of human excellence?’
- ‘We are the alpha and the omega in seashore dining and freshly prepared gourmet seafood.’
- ‘Instead, Jews and Judaism provided both the foundation of society and its hope for the future - they have become, if you will, the alpha and the omega of humanity.’
- ‘Well, I'm here to tell you that it's all bull-honky - the Marx Brothers are the alpha and the omega of silver screen comedy.’
- ‘In opposition to this tradition, Epicurus saw earthly pleasures as the alpha and omega of life.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.