One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A kind of garnet with a violet tint.
- ‘Associated with the quartz are crystals of almandine, kyanite, biotite, and magnesite.’
- ‘Rhodolite, a red variety that usually has a tinge of purple in it, is a mixture of almandine and pyrope.’
- ‘She described star garnets (almandines) from Emerald Creek, Idaho, as opaque.’
- ‘Garnet has a general grain size of about 3 mm and its composition is almandine, pyrope, spessartine and grossular.’
- ‘There are instances of quartz on almandine, quartz intergrown with almandine, quartz as an inclusion in almandine, and almandine as an inclusion in quartz.’
Late Middle English: from obsolete French, alteration of alabandine, from medieval Latin alabandina (gemma), ‘jewel from Alabanda’, an ancient city in Asia Minor where these stones were cut.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.