[as modifier] The unsaturated hydrocarbon radical —CH=CHCH₂‘allyl alcohol’
- ‘Garlic and onions are medicinal for their allyl sulphides antioxidant and detoxifying activity.’
- ‘Epichlorohydrin is an important epoxide whose creation comes mainly from hydrochlorination of allyl chloride.’
- ‘The biosynthesis of many important primary metabolites (such as cholesterol) proceed through intermediates that contain the allyl alcohol functional group.’
- ‘The onion family (including leeks, chives and scallions) is rich in allyl sulfides, which can help lower high blood pressure and show promise in protecting against cancers of the stomach and the digestive tract.’
- ‘Initially our efforts concentrated on the two allyl side chains attached to the heterocycle via a methylene group.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin allium garlic + -yl.