One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fan-shaped mass of alluvium deposited as the flow of a river decreases in velocity.
- ‘The topographic expression of these gravels suggests they represent uplifted and dissected alluvial fans that accumulated along the foot of the Western Ranges.’
- ‘Water-transported sediments formed alluvial fan deposits that were laid down on essentially flat-lying volcanic flows by streams flowing toward the center of the rift basin.’
- ‘Deposits in the Solund Basin consist almost entirely of alluvial fan conglomerates.’
- ‘Increasing soil instability, however, has failed to prevent squatters from colonising precarious perches on the hillsides, on the slopes of alluvial fans, or in the mouths of regularly flooded canyons.’
- ‘The Copper River alluvial fan is an outwash plain, that is, formed from sediments deposited by glacial meltwater.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.