Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[attributive] (of an incident or a person) said, without proof, to have taken place or to have a specified illegal or undesirable quality.‘the alleged conspirators’
supposed, so-called, claimed, professed, purported, ostensible, apparent, putative, unproven, rumoured, reputed, presumed, assumed, reported, declared, stated, avowed, describedView synonyms
- ‘Police were also on the scene to carry out their own investigations about the alleged incident.’
- ‘One of them is about an alleged Cabinet split over the site of a nuclear waste dump.’
- ‘Then a group of men, including the defendant, barged into the alleged victim's home.’
- ‘He said when the alleged getaway car tried to reverse outside Euston station, it was blocked by a bus.’
- ‘It's a peculiar way to describe the alleged plotters, when you think about it, isn't it?’
- ‘His parents also complained about the alleged mistreatment of their son while he was in prison.’
- ‘The alleged activities include amassing a number of fake credit cards and fake passports.’
- ‘Two of the alleged conspirators have already been set free in Germany for the same reason.’
- ‘In the chase incident, he entered a shop to find the owner struggling with an alleged shoplifter.’
- ‘A court decided to fit the tagging device on one of the alleged attackers while they awaited trial.’
- ‘The character of the locality must surely be judged as it was before the alleged nuisance began.’
- ‘The alleged payments were detailed last month in a Senate report on the oil for food programme.’
- ‘A man who provided a false alibi for an alleged attacker has been sent to jail for six months.’
- ‘The fight broke out at about 3pm on Friday below deck after the pair got into an alleged row.’
- ‘As well as provoking mirth, the alleged meanness of Scots is also a powerful marketing tool.’
- ‘The jury watched a video showing some of the alleged conspirators in animated discussion.’
- ‘A French judge has been inquiring into the alleged bribes for the past two years.’
- ‘Two of their alleged accomplices, also previously living in Hamburg, are on the run.’
- ‘The British Museum, too, says it knows nothing about any alleged fakes in its displays.’
- ‘However, even his most severe critics now agree that the alleged flaw is largely a thing of the past.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.