Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A transmission system that always operates in four-wheel drive and does not alternate with two-wheel drive.
- ‘Riding on a sport-handling suspension, the limited-edition pickup offers optional all-wheel drive for added road-holding abilities.’
- ‘Tom and Ray said you should pay the difference and upgrade me to the all-wheel drive!’
- ‘Many of the behemoths were equipped with four-wheel drive, or all-wheel drive, as noted by exterior labeling.’
- ‘Designed as a sort of halfway house between a large estate car and a full-sized 4X4, the Quattro all-wheel drive system makes it an ideal vehicle to transport those vital presents to their destination on an icy, snowy Christmas Eve.’
- ‘Full-time all-wheel drive with vehicle-dynamics control ensures that whatever the weather, you'll get a consistent driving experience.’
- ‘The first so equipped, the Leone estate, went on to become the world's number one all-wheel drive vehicle.’
- ‘The machine transports material in rough jobsite conditions, and a unique traction-assist valve lets operators activate its all-wheel drive with the flick of a switch with no need to restart the engine.’
- ‘Nissan reckons Murano, named after the island near Venice and the home of Murano glass, resembles an all-wheel drive below its belt-line and a sports sedan above.’
- ‘With all-wheel drive, the A8 gets 24 miles per gallon.’
- ‘‘Volvo and all-wheel drive just go together,’ says Anne Belec, the new president of Volvo Cars North America.’
- ‘It seems that everybody is jumping on the all-wheel drive SUV bandwagon lately.’
- ‘Fifteen minutes later, Tara had ruled out trucks and was trying to decide between an SUV and an all-wheel drive sedan.’
- ‘A new six-speed manual directs the engine's efforts to both axles via standard all-wheel drive with three torque-apportioning strategies: normal, sport, and snow.’
- ‘I'd like to have a safe, all-wheel drive vehicle to use from November to the middle of April in Rochester.’
- ‘The frameless windows, the boxer engines and the all-wheel drive transmissions are present and correct, but the big difference is that the Legacy is, at last, a car that your passengers will enjoy as much as you do.’
- ‘The model we tested was front-wheel drive, so Melissa asked Don, our salesman, ‘If we special-order the all-wheel drive, can I still get that color?’’
- ‘Subaru's stand will be heavily targeted at those people seeking a driver's car with all-wheel drive practicality.’
- ‘I revved up to about 3000 RPMs and dumped the clutch, spinning the wheels in a wicked all-wheel drive burnout and launched, blow-off valve exhaling excess pressure as I shifted.’
- ‘When the all-wheel drive is disengaged, the grader will return to four-wheel tandem drive with no parasitic loss.’
- ‘An optional all-wheel drive system, based on the one in the Town and Country, can send up to 100 percent of the power to the rear wheels.’
all-wheel drive/ôl(h)wēl drīv/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.