Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Including or suitable for all types of weather.‘all-weather tennis courts’
- ‘On site are all-weather tennis courts, football pitches, a cricket pitch, volleyball courts, a sports hall, gymnasium and snooker room.’
- ‘Indeed, I know a Scottish businessman who co-owns a horse that is running on the all-weather tracks this winter.’
- ‘Work started under an all-weather tent last October.’
- ‘Wrapped snugly in my new all-weather coat I simply relished the light.’
- ‘There are easy all-weather walks at the Cascade / Kauri area in the north and Karamatura Valley beyond Huia on the Manukau harbour.’
- ‘York would benefit particularly from the planned cricket, football, and all-weather five-a-side football pitches.’
- ‘Pupils enjoy a well-equipped gymnasium and fitness suite, as well as all-weather tennis/netball courts and grass rugby and hockey pitches.’
- ‘You need an all-terrain vehicle to use it, and having used it after wet weather, to gain access to the tarn you need all-weather footwear.’
- ‘The new £120,000 all-weather facility will provide healthy recreation for young and old on an equi-gender basis.’
- ‘Lingfield's all-weather meeting was left to fly the flag after all three of yesterday's jump meetings were abandoned on Sunday.’
- ‘The money will be used to create an all-weather, all-purpose play area outside the playgroup in the grounds of Greendown School.’
- ‘Booking has begun for the Northwest region all-weather Santatown and Santa Village Grotto at the Sligo Folk Park, Riverstown.’
- ‘In the right place, and in the right circumstances, out in the wilds, I can see the sense of having an all-weather, go-anywhere vehicle.’
- ‘Pleasure Island in St. Anne's is to be transformed into a all-weather, year-round attraction.’
- ‘This is brought about all because the all-weather track around the soccer pitch would be reducing the training pitch slightly.’
- ‘The on-site running track and all-weather pitch will appeal to students involved in athletics and team sports.’
- ‘The projects included swimming pools, leisure complexes, and all-weather facilities.’
- ‘The party is being held on a 500 person all-weather dance floor and there will be some spectacular laser lighting throughout the night.’
- ‘At the east end of the playing fields there would be a £500,000 floodlit all-weather football and hockey pitch.’
- ‘An all-weather nine-hole putting course has been added to provide the look, feel and play of natural turf all-year round.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.