Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having many uses, especially all that might be expected from something of its type.‘an all-purpose kitchen knife’
adaptable, flexible, all-round, multifaceted, multitalented, multiskilled, many-sided, resourceful, proteanView synonyms
- ‘In the interim we anticipate the securing of a green-belt site and the building of a 15,000 all-seater, all-purpose stadium.’
- ‘The big news in all-purpose knives is the Leatherman folding do-it-all type.’
- ‘Lemon juice, vinegar and natural soap make an all-purpose cleaner.’
- ‘Cheap and fireproof, it was an all-purpose insulator used to lag buildings, railway carriages, even ironing boards.’
- ‘The north-west network stretches along roughly 400 miles of motorway and all-purpose roads.’
- ‘In ancient Rome, for instance, the bed was an all-purpose piece of furniture, used for eating, relaxing and socialising as well as sleeping.’
- ‘Pack some warm clothes and an all-purpose washing liquid to help minimise the amount of socks, T-shirts and shorts you'll need.’
- ‘Sports equipment consists of floor mats that are used in an all-purpose hall in which the children do gym, dance and eat their lunch.’
- ‘By providing almost all essentials for school children, the all-purpose store has come as a welcome relief to the salaried class.’
- ‘Additionally, as one might imagine, the cottony head of the plant made an excellent all-purpose swab.’
- ‘However, all the three other options would controversially break up North Yorkshire into three or four separate all-purpose councils.’
- ‘Let's just say this funny, thoughtful, intelligent and crazy book is one of the best all-purpose reads of the year.’
- ‘I do not think of myself as an all-purpose pundit.’
- ‘It is a comfort to know that expensive cleaners designed for bathrooms work no better than all-purpose cleaners.’
- ‘Downstairs, an all-purpose room serves as a dining room when family members visit.’
- ‘A sceptic might say that his almanac is the all-purpose Christmas gift for the person without personality.’
- ‘The money will be used to create an all-weather, all-purpose play area outside the playgroup in the grounds of Greendown School.’
- ‘Ed has an all-purpose 75-foot boat with twin diesel engines and a five-ton crane amidships.’
- ‘Brunet, with a rich, beautiful voice, is vocally more fiery and seductive than her all-purpose shimmy and coy smile suggest.’
- ‘Their idea is to make the church an all-purpose centre, offering such activities as youth work, a coffee shop, a drop-in centre and counselling.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.