Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
verb[WITH OBJECT]usually as adjective alkylating" or "alkylated
Introduce an alkyl radical into (a compound)‘alkylating agents’
- ‘There has been some investigation into the natural alkylating agent 4-ipomeanol, but investigation was suspended after the first clinical trials.’
- ‘Several different types of drugs have been developed - alkylating agents, for example, inhibit cell division, whilst anti-metabolites interfere with enzyme systems and block vital processes.’
- ‘We found that it is also hypersensitive to various DNA-damaging agents, including UV irradiation and the DNA alkylating agent MMS.’
- ‘Parp is activated by DNA strand breaks induced by alkylating agents.’
- ‘Acute leukemia frequently has been described as a late complication of chemotherapy with alkylating agents in patients treated for multiple myeloma.’
- ‘Chemical mutagens are classified as alkylating agents, cross-linking agents, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs).’
- ‘Consistent with these functions, mei - 41 mutants are sensitive to hydroxyurea, an inhibitor of DNA replication, and DNA-damaging agents such as X-ray and alkylating agents.’
- ‘The major categories are alkylating agents, antimetabolites, plant alkaloids, anti-tumor antibiotics, and steroid hormones.’
- ‘The mms4 mutant has previously been found to be sensitive to alkylating agents such as MMS, weakly sensitive to ultraviolet light, and resistant to X rays.’
- ‘All four mutant lines displayed an increased sensitivity to the bifunctional alkylating agent mitomycin C.’
- ‘The chlorinated nitrosamines showed stronger mutagenicity than non-chlorinated nitrosamines, indicating that alkylating activity was strengthened by the presence of a chloro group.’
- ‘PARP is a nuclear enzyme activated by DNA strand breaks induced by alkylating agents or X-rays.’
- ‘Two men discovered that in the presence of Lewis acids (such as aluminum chloride or ferric chloride), alkyl halides will alkylate benzenes.’
- ‘Methyl methanesulfonate and cyclophosphamide are alkylating agents that differ in their mode of action.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.