Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Introduce an alkyl radical into (a compound)‘alkylating agents’
- ‘Several different types of drugs have been developed - alkylating agents, for example, inhibit cell division, whilst anti-metabolites interfere with enzyme systems and block vital processes.’
- ‘The major categories are alkylating agents, antimetabolites, plant alkaloids, anti-tumor antibiotics, and steroid hormones.’
- ‘There has been some investigation into the natural alkylating agent 4-ipomeanol, but investigation was suspended after the first clinical trials.’
- ‘All four mutant lines displayed an increased sensitivity to the bifunctional alkylating agent mitomycin C.’
- ‘Chemical mutagens are classified as alkylating agents, cross-linking agents, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs).’
- ‘Two men discovered that in the presence of Lewis acids (such as aluminum chloride or ferric chloride), alkyl halides will alkylate benzenes.’
- ‘The mms4 mutant has previously been found to be sensitive to alkylating agents such as MMS, weakly sensitive to ultraviolet light, and resistant to X rays.’
- ‘Methyl methanesulfonate and cyclophosphamide are alkylating agents that differ in their mode of action.’
- ‘Parp is activated by DNA strand breaks induced by alkylating agents.’
- ‘Consistent with these functions, mei - 41 mutants are sensitive to hydroxyurea, an inhibitor of DNA replication, and DNA-damaging agents such as X-ray and alkylating agents.’
- ‘The chlorinated nitrosamines showed stronger mutagenicity than non-chlorinated nitrosamines, indicating that alkylating activity was strengthened by the presence of a chloro group.’
- ‘PARP is a nuclear enzyme activated by DNA strand breaks induced by alkylating agents or X-rays.’
- ‘Acute leukemia frequently has been described as a late complication of chemotherapy with alkylating agents in patients treated for multiple myeloma.’
- ‘We found that it is also hypersensitive to various DNA-damaging agents, including UV irradiation and the DNA alkylating agent MMS.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.