One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
drinker, heavy drinker, problem drinker, drunk, drunkard, alcoholic, dipsomaniac, alcohol-abuser, alcohol addict, person with a drink problemView synonyms
- ‘I lived my childhood and teens constantly terrified that someone would find out that my mother was barking mad and an alkie to boot.’
- ‘Then he decided he was too young to be an alkie, this wasn't alcoholism, this was making himself feel better.’
- ‘The sergeant advised letting it go because it was ‘just the alkies and the druggies fighting.’’
- ‘They give it Russian labels; but alkies just don't care’
- ‘Aiming to be the most comprehensive source of vodka information on the Net, iVodka.com is the site for the erudite alkie.’
- ‘It's the additional bottle of schnapps for the alky who should be drying out.’
- ‘A lot of people say it is just the junkies and alkies, but it isn't, there's a lot of people my age involved.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.