One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
drinker, heavy drinker, problem drinker, drunk, drunkard, alcoholic, dipsomaniac, alcohol-abuser, alcohol addict, person with a drink problemView synonyms
- ‘It's the additional bottle of schnapps for the alky who should be drying out.’
- ‘A lot of people say it is just the junkies and alkies, but it isn't, there's a lot of people my age involved.’
- ‘The sergeant advised letting it go because it was ‘just the alkies and the druggies fighting.’’
- ‘Aiming to be the most comprehensive source of vodka information on the Net, iVodka.com is the site for the erudite alkie.’
- ‘They give it Russian labels; but alkies just don't care’
- ‘I lived my childhood and teens constantly terrified that someone would find out that my mother was barking mad and an alkie to boot.’
- ‘Then he decided he was too young to be an alkie, this wasn't alcoholism, this was making himself feel better.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.