Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of the series of saturated hydrocarbons including methane, ethane, propane, and higher members.→ paraffin
- ‘In some yeast species, peroxisomes may be induced by growth on methanol, alkanes, fatty acids, and cadmium.’
- ‘Furthermore, there was no evidence of ethyl esters, dimers, alkanes or alkenes, which might be expected for an oxidative reaction.’
- ‘Paraffin waxes are mixtures of high molecular weight alkanes, and therefore are not esters.’
- ‘Because the salts of these ions and the alkane sulfonates and alkyl hydrogen sulfates are largely water soluble, the detergent remains dispersed in the water.’
- ‘This method of production is still used although oxidation of methane, pyrolysis of alkanes, and cracking of hydrocarbons are more commonly encountered.’
Late 19th century: from alkyl + -ane.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.