Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a class of nitrogenous organic compounds of plant origin that have pronounced physiological actions on humans. They include many drugs (morphine, quinine) and poisons (atropine, strychnine)
- ‘At present, the chemical components of this water extract are thought to include only alkaloids, terpenes and pigments.’
- ‘Caffeine is a bitter alkaloid found especially in coffee, tea, and kola nuts and used medicinally as a stimulant and diuretic.’
- ‘Many multicellular trichomes are glandular, developing a terminal gland which may secrete a variety of compounds, such as alkaloids to deter or poison predators.’
- ‘CE analysis of plant secondary metabolites such as flavonoids, alkaloids, and phenolic acids is now common.’
- ‘Caffeine is a naturally occurring drug belonging to a group of compounds called alkaloids.’
- ‘The alkaloids in poppy include morphine, narcotine and codeine - the reasons why opium is used most frequently as a sedative.’
- ‘Key alkaloids present in goldenseal include berberine, hydrastine, and canadine.’
- ‘They are precursors of benzoic phenanthridine alkaloids, active ingredients of many medicinal plant extracts.’
- ‘Other important alkaloids are caffeine, ricinine, and quinine.’
- ‘Terpenoid indole alkaloids absorb UV radiation and are implicated as having a UV-protective role in plants.’
- ‘The cinchona tree contains more than 20 alkaloids of which quinine and quinidine are the most important.’
- ‘The isolation of morphine from opium takes advantage of the amphoteric nature of the alkaloid, since morphine is a phenolic amine.’
- ‘Barbiturates are derived from barbituric acid, an alkaloid with nitrogen-containing rings.’
- ‘This material is a complex mixture of about 20 different alkaloids or nitrogen containing organic bases.’
- ‘Prominent examples are quinolizidine alkaloids, gossypol, glucosinolates, nonproteinogenic amino acids and furanocoumarins.’
- ‘Morphine is an alkaloid, meaning that it is an organic compound that contains carbon, hydrogen and nitrogen, and forms a water-soluble salt.’
- ‘Plant or vinca alkaloids are derived from plants and block cell division during mitosis.’
- ‘Berberine is an alkaloid occurring in the plant genera Berberis and Coptis.’
- ‘Diuretics can be found in terpenes, phenolics and alkaloids.’
- ‘Second, the alkaloid is refluxed with acetic anhydride for about five hours.’
Early 19th century: coined in German from alkali.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.