Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A long-lived dry cell with an alkaline electrolyte of potassium hydroxide, which deters corrosion.
- ‘In such conditions snow has to be melted to make drinkable water, alkaline batteries rapidly discharge and lighter fluid evaporates from the lighter in addition to the more obvious discomforts.’
- ‘Single-use alkaline batteries can be discarded into your regular trash or, even better, saved for a ‘household hazardous waste’ collection day.’
- ‘While this remains the only nationwide program for recycling, it does not accept alkaline batteries.’
- ‘He says the new batteries can last up to four times longer than standard single-use alkaline batteries in certain applications, and are expected to be rechargeable up to 1000 times.’
- ‘Find a model with rechargeable batteries that also allows you to use standard AA alkaline batteries.’
- ‘Mr Cribb said home-owners should use long-lasting alkaline batteries to avoid changing batteries more than once a year.’
- ‘Primary alkaline batteries use sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide as the electrolyte.’
- ‘The alkaline battery packs for the telemetry boxes weigh roughly 3 pounds more.’
- ‘The company has told retailers it's also eyeing a $70 million October ad launch for an enhanced alkaline battery due in stores in September.’
- ‘In the alkaline battery segment, the biggest market slice, our company now holds a 19 percent unit share, up from 8 percent back in 1996.’
- ‘The device operates on a 9-volt alkaline battery that delivers over 10,000 readings.’
- ‘According to Consumer Reports, ‘don't bother storing alkaline batteries in the refrigerator to stretch their life.’’
- ‘Most battery operated alarms use zinc or alkaline batteries costing about £2 and lasting about a year.’
- ‘Chromium in floppy disks, lead in batteries and computer monitors, and mercury in alkaline batteries and fluorescent lamps also pose severe health risks.’
- ‘With advances in standard off-the-shelf alkaline batteries, most electronic sensors can operate for longer periods without running down.’
- ‘A number of technologies are vying to replace the current lithium-ion batteries found in laptops, as well as the alkaline batteries and nickel-metal hydride rechargeables used by portable electronics devices.’
- ‘For example, a typical alkaline battery contains manganese dioxide and zinc, which react to form zinc oxide.’
- ‘I liked the option of using alkaline batteries because you can leave them installed for months at a time and they will still work when needed.’
- ‘Additionally, some units use only disposable alkaline batteries, two use only rechargeable battery packs and some can use either, all of which affects the price dramatically.’
- ‘I bought it about 7 years ago, and I still use it to recharge all my alkaline batteries.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.