One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long-lived dry cell with an alkaline electrolyte of potassium hydroxide, which deters corrosion.
- ‘Single-use alkaline batteries can be discarded into your regular trash or, even better, saved for a ‘household hazardous waste’ collection day.’
- ‘The company has told retailers it's also eyeing a $70 million October ad launch for an enhanced alkaline battery due in stores in September.’
- ‘The device operates on a 9-volt alkaline battery that delivers over 10,000 readings.’
- ‘In the alkaline battery segment, the biggest market slice, our company now holds a 19 percent unit share, up from 8 percent back in 1996.’
- ‘A number of technologies are vying to replace the current lithium-ion batteries found in laptops, as well as the alkaline batteries and nickel-metal hydride rechargeables used by portable electronics devices.’
- ‘The alkaline battery packs for the telemetry boxes weigh roughly 3 pounds more.’
- ‘For example, a typical alkaline battery contains manganese dioxide and zinc, which react to form zinc oxide.’
- ‘Mr Cribb said home-owners should use long-lasting alkaline batteries to avoid changing batteries more than once a year.’
- ‘Additionally, some units use only disposable alkaline batteries, two use only rechargeable battery packs and some can use either, all of which affects the price dramatically.’
- ‘With advances in standard off-the-shelf alkaline batteries, most electronic sensors can operate for longer periods without running down.’
- ‘Primary alkaline batteries use sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide as the electrolyte.’
- ‘Most battery operated alarms use zinc or alkaline batteries costing about £2 and lasting about a year.’
- ‘According to Consumer Reports, ‘don't bother storing alkaline batteries in the refrigerator to stretch their life.’’
- ‘Chromium in floppy disks, lead in batteries and computer monitors, and mercury in alkaline batteries and fluorescent lamps also pose severe health risks.’
- ‘I liked the option of using alkaline batteries because you can leave them installed for months at a time and they will still work when needed.’
- ‘In such conditions snow has to be melted to make drinkable water, alkaline batteries rapidly discharge and lighter fluid evaporates from the lighter in addition to the more obvious discomforts.’
- ‘I bought it about 7 years ago, and I still use it to recharge all my alkaline batteries.’
- ‘He says the new batteries can last up to four times longer than standard single-use alkaline batteries in certain applications, and are expected to be rechargeable up to 1000 times.’
- ‘While this remains the only nationwide program for recycling, it does not accept alkaline batteries.’
- ‘Find a model with rechargeable batteries that also allows you to use standard AA alkaline batteries.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.