One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long-lived dry cell with an alkaline electrolyte of potassium hydroxide, which deters corrosion.
- ‘The company has told retailers it's also eyeing a $70 million October ad launch for an enhanced alkaline battery due in stores in September.’
- ‘A number of technologies are vying to replace the current lithium-ion batteries found in laptops, as well as the alkaline batteries and nickel-metal hydride rechargeables used by portable electronics devices.’
- ‘With advances in standard off-the-shelf alkaline batteries, most electronic sensors can operate for longer periods without running down.’
- ‘Most battery operated alarms use zinc or alkaline batteries costing about £2 and lasting about a year.’
- ‘He says the new batteries can last up to four times longer than standard single-use alkaline batteries in certain applications, and are expected to be rechargeable up to 1000 times.’
- ‘Mr Cribb said home-owners should use long-lasting alkaline batteries to avoid changing batteries more than once a year.’
- ‘In such conditions snow has to be melted to make drinkable water, alkaline batteries rapidly discharge and lighter fluid evaporates from the lighter in addition to the more obvious discomforts.’
- ‘For example, a typical alkaline battery contains manganese dioxide and zinc, which react to form zinc oxide.’
- ‘Find a model with rechargeable batteries that also allows you to use standard AA alkaline batteries.’
- ‘Single-use alkaline batteries can be discarded into your regular trash or, even better, saved for a ‘household hazardous waste’ collection day.’
- ‘Primary alkaline batteries use sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide as the electrolyte.’
- ‘I bought it about 7 years ago, and I still use it to recharge all my alkaline batteries.’
- ‘In the alkaline battery segment, the biggest market slice, our company now holds a 19 percent unit share, up from 8 percent back in 1996.’
- ‘According to Consumer Reports, ‘don't bother storing alkaline batteries in the refrigerator to stretch their life.’’
- ‘The alkaline battery packs for the telemetry boxes weigh roughly 3 pounds more.’
- ‘The device operates on a 9-volt alkaline battery that delivers over 10,000 readings.’
- ‘Additionally, some units use only disposable alkaline batteries, two use only rechargeable battery packs and some can use either, all of which affects the price dramatically.’
- ‘I liked the option of using alkaline batteries because you can leave them installed for months at a time and they will still work when needed.’
- ‘Chromium in floppy disks, lead in batteries and computer monitors, and mercury in alkaline batteries and fluorescent lamps also pose severe health risks.’
- ‘While this remains the only nationwide program for recycling, it does not accept alkaline batteries.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.