Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having the properties of an alkali, or containing alkali; having a pH greater than 7.
corrosive, corroding, mordant, acid, alkaline, burning, stinging, acrid, harsh, destructiveView synonyms
- ‘Liquid bleach used in the laundry is an alkaline solution of hypochlorite ion.’
- ‘As the soil solution becomes more alkaline availability increases.’
- ‘The precipitate is then treated with acetic acid and an alkaline material.’
- ‘On the valley floor, freshwater and alkaline soda lakes support a staggering array of birdlife.’
- ‘In addition to being acid and alkaline, soil can also be sandy or clay.’
- ‘Soluble acid invertase and alkaline invertase were assayed as described previously with some modifications.’
- ‘Manganese deficiency is a common disorder on alkaline soils while its toxicity normally only occurs on strongly acid soils.’
- ‘So the demineralization seems to have been in a slightly alkaline solution, not acid.’
- ‘If these alkaline solutions don't remove all the oil, you can try a solvent.’
- ‘They may be seen as intermediate between primary alkaline manganese cells and rechargeable Ni-Cd cells.’
- ‘Boxwoods prefer slightly acid to slightly alkaline soil and do very well when planted in early fall.’
- ‘Values between 7 and 14 are found in basic or alkaline solutions such as caustic or washing soda.’
- ‘The primary active ingredients are aluminum salts such as alkaline aluminum chloride.’
- ‘This liquid should be an alkaline chemical solution with a PH of more than 7.’
- ‘The wood chips are placed in the digester and are cooked in a highly corrosive alkaline solution.’
- ‘Decontamination includes washing the skin with alkaline soap and then ethanol.’
- ‘This process requires soil aeration and a neutral or alkaline soil environment.’
- ‘Some alkaline solutions may neutralise it but it will play havoc with the base salts.’
- ‘The alkaline properties of bicarbonate of soda can also be used to soften the skins of beans and other pulses.’
- ‘They contain a non-toxic alkaline emulsifying chemical which has an immediate cooling effect on the oil.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.