The whole passage along which food passes through the body from mouth to anus. It includes the esophagus, stomach, and intestines.
- ‘Crohn's disease is a chronic, relapsing inflammatory disorder of the alimentary canal with involvement anywhere from the mouth to the anus.’
- ‘The alimentary canal is not innervated via the ventral nervous system as has been claimed earlier.’
- ‘The digestive system is made up of the alimentary canal and the other abdominal organs that play a part in digestion, such as the liver and pancreas.’
- ‘The latter group includes tissues lining the airways; the alimentary canal and its associated organs and glands; and the genito-urinary system.’
- ‘The food in the alimentary canal is technically outside the body.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.