Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting organic compounds that combine cyclic structure with aliphatic properties, e.g., cyclohexane and other saturated cyclic hydrocarbons.Compare with aromatic
- ‘Among the 4800 constituents of tobacco smoke, researchers have identified more than 100 alkanes, 150 alkenes and 55 alicyclic hydrocarbons.’
- ‘Its solubility is very high in polar organic solvents as well as in benzene but it is only sparingly soluble in aliphatic or alicyclic organic solvents like hexane and cyclohexane.’
- ‘The alicyclic compounds have one or more rings.’
- ‘It is the intention of this book to provide an overview of the behaviour of alicyclic compounds in the depth required for an undergraduate chemistry course.’
- ‘An alicyclic compound is an organic compound that is both aliphatic and cyclic.’
An alicyclic compound.
- ‘In discussing the alkanes as a functional group, the terms aliphatic (for the acyclic alkane substituent) and alicyclic (for the cyclic alkane substituent) are used.’
- ‘Further chapters describe useful methods for the synthesis of alicyclics by ring contraction, ring enlargement and transannular cyclization.’
- ‘The characteristic that distinguishes benzene from the aliphatics and alicyclics, and that defines the aromatics, is the arrangement of electrons in the ring.’
- ‘They are immiscible with many organic solvents, particularly linear hydrocarbons and alicyclics like cyclopentane.’
- ‘The further separation yielded 12 fractions containing aliphatic and alicyclic, 24 containing aromatic and 1 containing nitrogen, sulphur and oxygen containing compounds (NSO fraction).’
Late 19th century: blend of aliphatic and cyclic.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.