One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The misidentification of a signal frequency, introducing distortion or error.
- ‘Analog signals are usually low-pass filtered to remove most or all of the components above the Nyquist frequency in order to avoid aliasing.’
- ‘Optical signals were low-pass filtered at 500 Hz to prevent aliasing.’
- ‘Any component of a sampled signal with a frequency above this limit is subject to aliasing.’
- ‘This type of signal distortion is called aliasing.’
- ‘Aliasing refers to an effect that causes different continuous signals to become indistinguishable (or aliases of one another) when sampled.’
In computer graphics, the jagged, or saw-toothed appearance of curved or diagonal lines on a low-resolution monitor.
- ‘Other than some aliasing on the car models and in the distant backgrounds, Rallisport features amazing graphics that certainly add to the game's play experience.’
- ‘A rasterized image of the view from the light's position was rendered, and sampling errors occurred, including jagged edges and aliasing.’
- ‘The visual transfer is clear and colorful, but vertical lines still demonstrate some aliasing (they often look like stair steps).’
- ‘Otherwise, the graphics are smooth and free of annoying graphical glitches like glaring aliasing or slowdown.’
- ‘The only real complaint I have about the graphics is the game's aliasing and flicker.’
- ‘Standard-definition content looks good, but brings with it the usual artifacts: noise, line aliasing, and occasional interlacing.’
- ‘While you get solid, realistic colors with adequate detail, there is far too much grain, aliasing, and artifacting in the transfer.’
- ‘The movie does show a few problems from time to time, including some very bad aliasing and haloing, and some occasional moiré patterns, but for the most part the image is very clean and crisp.’
- ‘The worst spots are not that frequent, but the edge enhancement and aliasing are bad enough by themselves to spoil things.’
- ‘As you can see, it looks pretty good, though aliasing is a bit more obvious.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.