Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The misidentification of a signal frequency, introducing distortion or error.
- ‘This type of signal distortion is called aliasing.’
- ‘Any component of a sampled signal with a frequency above this limit is subject to aliasing.’
- ‘Optical signals were low-pass filtered at 500 Hz to prevent aliasing.’
- ‘Analog signals are usually low-pass filtered to remove most or all of the components above the Nyquist frequency in order to avoid aliasing.’
- ‘Aliasing refers to an effect that causes different continuous signals to become indistinguishable (or aliases of one another) when sampled.’
In computer graphics, the jagged, or saw-toothed appearance of curved or diagonal lines on a low-resolution monitor.
- ‘The worst spots are not that frequent, but the edge enhancement and aliasing are bad enough by themselves to spoil things.’
- ‘The movie does show a few problems from time to time, including some very bad aliasing and haloing, and some occasional moiré patterns, but for the most part the image is very clean and crisp.’
- ‘While you get solid, realistic colors with adequate detail, there is far too much grain, aliasing, and artifacting in the transfer.’
- ‘A rasterized image of the view from the light's position was rendered, and sampling errors occurred, including jagged edges and aliasing.’
- ‘The visual transfer is clear and colorful, but vertical lines still demonstrate some aliasing (they often look like stair steps).’
- ‘Standard-definition content looks good, but brings with it the usual artifacts: noise, line aliasing, and occasional interlacing.’
- ‘Otherwise, the graphics are smooth and free of annoying graphical glitches like glaring aliasing or slowdown.’
- ‘The only real complaint I have about the graphics is the game's aliasing and flicker.’
- ‘As you can see, it looks pretty good, though aliasing is a bit more obvious.’
- ‘Other than some aliasing on the car models and in the distant backgrounds, Rallisport features amazing graphics that certainly add to the game's play experience.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.