Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The study of algae.
- ‘Phycology (or algology), a subdiscipline of botany, is the scientific study of algae.’
- ‘The decision to attempt percutaneous chordotomy is made by the patient and physicians experienced in pain-relieving procedures at the department of algology.’
- ‘The subject-matter, which includes fresh-water and marine algology, comprises a study of the algal groups and their reproduction.’
- ‘The study of algae is called phycology or algology.’
- ‘He is a famous scientist in algology study, and has found 22 new species of algae.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.