Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A variable star or star system in the constellation Perseus, regarded as the prototype of eclipsing binary stars.
From Arabic al ġūl the ghoul.
One of the early high-level computer programming languages that was devised to carry out scientific calculations.
- ‘Among his achievements in his career in industry and academia, is the development of the first commercial compiler for the programming language Algol 60.’
- ‘With tape recorders being forbidden, and shorthand-writing becoming as rare as Algol coding, it's not easy to analyse the significance of what happened in the courtroom on Wednesday without the transcript.’
- ‘ALGOL was used mostly by research computer scientists in the United States and in Europe.’
- ‘He should be remembered for many things but the thing often missed is that he developed the stack model of computation which he employed in his version of Algol 60.’
- ‘Out of this enthusiasm for string-rewriting grew classical computer languages like Algol - 60.’
1950s: from algo(rithmic) + the initial letter of language.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.