One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A soil of an order comprising leached basic or slightly acid soils with a clay-enriched B horizon (subsoil).
- ‘In order to study the origins of alfisols and mollisols, Mella examined the mineralogical and chemical properties of the soils, as well as those of the insoluble residue of the coral rocks.’
- ‘The series consists of very deep, well drained, fine silty alfisol formed in loess.’
- ‘The leaching of two pesticides (pendimethalin and glyphosate) through macropores in the unsaturated zone of a Danish alfisol was investigated in the laboratory.’
- ‘Soil nitrogen transformations and movement is simulated by other modules in the APSIM framework for two soil types, an alfisol and a vertisol.’
- ‘The soil is an alfisol (brown soil) above Palaeozoic strata.’
1960s: from the arbitrary element Alfi- + -sol.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.