Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A leguminous plant with cloverlike leaves and bluish flowers. Native to southwestern Asia, it is widely grown for fodder.Also called lucerne
- ‘Red clover grows better than alfalfa in the acidic soils that are common in the Midwest.’
- ‘Here's an excuse to let a section of lawn grow tall and go to hay, or plant some of it to alfalfa, red clover or oats.’
- ‘Before planting your alfalfa or grass this spring, take time to evaluate your seedbed.’
- ‘Remove all poisonous indoor plants and replace with pots of grass, alfalfa or catnip.’
- ‘Cows and calves graze on orchardgrass and alfalfa pastures at Moonstone Farm.’
- ‘This led to a substantial reduction in the sowing of traditional crops such as alfalfa and plants grown for vegetable oil.’
- ‘The best source of fiber is hay, such as timothy, alfalfa, oat, or orchard grass.’
- ‘You can grow them yourself from mung beans, brown lentils, chickpeas, fenugreek seeds or alfalfa seeds.’
- ‘This contains alfalfa and parsley, both of which have traditionally been used to treat urinary-tract problems.’
- ‘Weed-free stands of clover or alfalfa and clean cultivated row crops are not likely to be infested.’
- ‘Jean's honey is mainly produced from the nectar of clover, alfalfa and fireweed.’
- ‘Both tobacco, as a model plant species, and alfalfa have been transformed with the assembled constructs.’
- ‘Furthermore, in recent decades, farmers in this area primarily grew cotton and alfalfa.’
- ‘One is installing the pipes in a bed of woodchips and planting deep-rooting alfalfa over the top.’
- ‘The native prairie grasslands and alfalfa provide food and shelter for these birds.’
- ‘He's also seeded pastures with legumes like alfalfa and red and white clovers.’
- ‘August is an excellent time to plant alfalfa, if you have moisture and you do it right.’
- ‘The chart compares characteristics of the alfalfa weevil and clover leaf weevil.’
- ‘A naturally occurring sugar found in pine tree shoots, alfalfa, soybeans and other legumes.’
- ‘The leaves are long and smooth and travel up the entire stem, equivalent to alfalfa.’
Mid 19th century: from Spanish, from Arabic al-faṣfaṣa, a green fodder.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.