One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to Alexandria in Egypt.
- ‘It was a tabletop monument to Greek and Alexandrian astronomy.’
- ‘In the third century BC, the famous Greek mathematician Archimedes issued a challenge to the Alexandrian mathematicians, headed by Eratosthenes.’
- ‘The daughter of an English merchant based in Smyrna, she had married a rich Alexandrian merchant, later British Consul General in Egypt, and had travelled extensively in the Levant.’
- ‘The minarets, columns, and pillars that make up the skyline are a mixture of recognizable Alexandrian landmarks and the Bellinis' own invention.’
- ‘In Alexandrian courtrooms a defendant was permitted to speak for a certain regulated time.’
- 1.1 Belonging to or akin to the schools of literature and philosophy of ancient Alexandria.
- ‘Philoponus never held the Alexandrian philosophy chair.’
- ‘He felt that there were spiritual realities that needed to be asserted against the kind of fading dimensions of classicism and of the Alexandrian school of philosophers.’
- ‘Origen and Augustine belonged to the Alexandrian school, which was prone to allegorization, largely because of their neo-Platonic philosophy.’
- ‘First, in the Greek tradition, we nowhere find evidence of an Alexandrian philosopher named David; neither the Suda nor Hesychius nor Photius nor anyone else seems to know of any such person.’
- ‘Far from originating in Alexandria, Newman described the philosophical influences on the Alexandrian school as free from speculation and concerned with propagation of doctrine.’
- 1.2 (of a writer) derivative or imitative rather than creative; fond of recondite learning.
obscure, abstruse, arcane, esoteric, little known, recherché, abstract, deep, profound, cryptic, difficult, complex, complicated, involvedView synonyms
- ‘Alexandrian poets write out of a library, the library of other poetry they carry in their heads, rather than out of a commemorative rural ethic or an aspiration towards the permanently upright city.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.