One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting modalities of truth, such as necessity, contingency, or impossibility.
- ‘By far, alethic logic has been the field of modal logic which has received the greatest attention.’
- ‘The final part offers an illustration of how embracing alethic functionalism may help the relativist.’
- ‘A basic implementation of the proposed approach has been prototyped in a tool that supports automated verbalization of both alethic and deontic rules.’
- ‘He advocates alethic realism and traces in detail Putnam's gradual move from alethic anti-realism to alethic realism.’
- ‘If this is how you define truth, then it would seem that you and the alethic relativist are talking about two completely different concepts.’
1950s: from Greek alētheia ‘truth’ + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.