Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quality of being alert.‘nothing could escape the steel trap of my alertness’‘a lack of mental alertness’
vigilance, awareness, watchfulness, attentiveness, attention, circumspection, wariness, chariness, heedfulness, canniness, discretion, prudencequick-wittedness, quick thinking, quickness of mind, sharpness, quickness, keenness, perceptiveness, responsiveness, agility, acuteness, acuity, shrewdness, astuteness, intelligence, insight, presence of mindView synonyms
- ‘Fire has caused £30,000 damage to a woollen waste mill, and it could have been worse but for the alertness of a teenage girl.’
- ‘Anything related to Taiwan's survival should be heeded with special alertness.’
- ‘Travelers to such destinations practice extra alertness, precaution and prudence.’
- ‘Nonetheless, he said, police would maintain a high degree of alertness.’
- ‘Clydebank looked as though they had done enough for another valuable point, but they reckoned without the alertness of Alan Neil.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.