One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality of being alert.‘a lack of mental alertness’‘nothing could escape the steel trap of my alertness’
vigilance, awareness, watchfulness, attentiveness, attention, circumspection, wariness, chariness, heedfulness, canniness, discretion, prudencequick-wittedness, quick thinking, quickness of mind, sharpness, quickness, keenness, perceptiveness, responsiveness, agility, acuteness, acuity, shrewdness, astuteness, intelligence, insight, presence of mindView synonyms
- ‘Anything related to Taiwan's survival should be heeded with special alertness.’
- ‘Travelers to such destinations practice extra alertness, precaution and prudence.’
- ‘Nonetheless, he said, police would maintain a high degree of alertness.’
- ‘Fire has caused £30,000 damage to a woollen waste mill, and it could have been worse but for the alertness of a teenage girl.’
- ‘Clydebank looked as though they had done enough for another valuable point, but they reckoned without the alertness of Alan Neil.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.