The quality of being alert.‘a lack of mental alertness’‘nothing could escape the steel trap of my alertness’
vigilance, awareness, watchfulness, attentiveness, attention, circumspection, wariness, chariness, heedfulness, canniness, discretion, prudencequick-wittedness, quick thinking, quickness of mind, sharpness, quickness, keenness, perceptiveness, responsiveness, agility, acuteness, acuity, shrewdness, astuteness, intelligence, insight, presence of mindView synonyms
- ‘Fire has caused £30,000 damage to a woollen waste mill, and it could have been worse but for the alertness of a teenage girl.’
- ‘Clydebank looked as though they had done enough for another valuable point, but they reckoned without the alertness of Alan Neil.’
- ‘Nonetheless, he said, police would maintain a high degree of alertness.’
- ‘Travelers to such destinations practice extra alertness, precaution and prudence.’
- ‘Anything related to Taiwan's survival should be heeded with special alertness.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.