One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cypress tree that is valued for its timber.
Several species in the family Cupressaceae, in particular the sandarac tree (Tetraclinis articulata) of southern Spain and northwestern Africa, from which the resin sandarac is obtained
- ‘Alerces are in the same family as the redwoods of California, and one of the primary goals of the park is to protect the remaining Alerces.’
- ‘Although the alerce (larch) is the dominant tree, the park also has other species.’
- ‘The Edenic Río Manso Valley, at the southern tip of South America, is pure Patagonia - high, open country surrounded by ancient alerce forests (think redwoods) and populated by gauchos and trout.’
- ‘Alerce have been known to age in excess of 3,000 years, making them the second oldest tree on earth next to the white pine in California.’
- ‘The alerce is unique to the coastal temperate rainforests of southern Chile and the mountains of western Argentina.’
Mid 19th century: from Spanish, ‘larch’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.