One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cypress tree that is valued for its timber.
- ‘The alerce is unique to the coastal temperate rainforests of southern Chile and the mountains of western Argentina.’
- ‘Alerces are in the same family as the redwoods of California, and one of the primary goals of the park is to protect the remaining Alerces.’
- ‘Although the alerce (larch) is the dominant tree, the park also has other species.’
- ‘The Edenic Río Manso Valley, at the southern tip of South America, is pure Patagonia - high, open country surrounded by ancient alerce forests (think redwoods) and populated by gauchos and trout.’
- ‘Alerce have been known to age in excess of 3,000 years, making them the second oldest tree on earth next to the white pine in California.’
Mid 19th century: from Spanish, ‘larch’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.