Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A corticosteroid hormone that stimulates absorption of sodium by the kidneys and so regulates water and salt balance.
- ‘These hormones include adrenaline, norepinephrine, aldosterone and corticosteroids (cortisone).’
- ‘The liver is involved in the metabolism and breakdown of many hormones (eg, estrogen, testosterone, aldosterone, thyroid hormones) and vitamin D.’
- ‘One such hormone is aldosterone, which manages your body's balance of sodium, potassium and water.’
- ‘It is believed that the formation of melanin is regulated by aldosterone, which is the most active mineralocorticoid hormone secreted by the adrenal cortex.’
- ‘Progesterone also increases sodium and water excretion in females because of competition between progesterone and aldosterone, a kidney hormone that regulates water balance.’
1950s: blend of aldehyde and steroid, + -one.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.