Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A corticosteroid hormone that stimulates absorption of sodium by the kidneys and so regulates water and salt balance.
- ‘These hormones include adrenaline, norepinephrine, aldosterone and corticosteroids (cortisone).’
- ‘The liver is involved in the metabolism and breakdown of many hormones (eg, estrogen, testosterone, aldosterone, thyroid hormones) and vitamin D.’
- ‘It is believed that the formation of melanin is regulated by aldosterone, which is the most active mineralocorticoid hormone secreted by the adrenal cortex.’
- ‘One such hormone is aldosterone, which manages your body's balance of sodium, potassium and water.’
- ‘Progesterone also increases sodium and water excretion in females because of competition between progesterone and aldosterone, a kidney hormone that regulates water balance.’
1950s: blend of aldehyde and steroid, + -one.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.