Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A four-line verse stanza in the meter invented by the Greek poet Alcaeus, and later used in a slightly altered form by the Roman poet Horace.
- ‘There aren't many intact alcaic stanzas, but it is an important one [(Horace used in in his Odes [e.g.,])] and you should be familiar with it.’
- ‘The paper will also attend to some critical implications of the meter's movement, and will end by pointing to successors of Auden - poets like John Hollander and Marilyn Hacker - who followed his example and took up the alcaic meter in their own verses.’
- ‘It was monodic, and was composed in a variety of lyric metres in two or four-line stanzas, including the alcaic stanza, named after him.’
- ‘Auden's elegy for Sigmund Freud follows the alcaic syllable-count (though not its rhythm).’
- ‘He turned it down, but the first six odes of Book III, very serious - minded and written in alcaic metre, are closely aligned with Augustus’ policies.’
- ‘According to the Speccie he knows the difference ‘between a tribrach and a molossus, a sapphic and an alcaic’.’
- ‘He employed the classical elegiacs and alcaics with ease, and was equally at home with trochaic and iambic lines.’
- ‘The first six odes of Book 3 are sometimes referred to as the Roman Odes, written in stately alcaics in elevated style on patriotic themes.’
- ‘In translating the odes, for example, I kept to their syllabic count and tried to engender rhythms akin to but not identical with those engendered by alcaics in German.’
- ‘Later, he was taught to turn English verse into alcaics and sapphics in Horatian style, as well as imitating Virgil, Ovid and the Greek tragedians.’
Mid 17th century: via late Latin from Greek alkaikos, from Alkaios (see Alcaeus).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.